Well I finally managed to get WordPress running. It’s a blogging app focused on usability, but unfortunately it’s written in PHP. I spent way too much time trying to get it to work. Even with all error reporting turned on, including assertations, there wasn’t a single error message but it didn’t work OOTB. The guys who write it suggest putting in lots of print statements to see what’s wrong. Boy, I used to do that in high school. The code is poorly written, makes some bad assumptions, and uses a non-standard database abstraction layer which means big efforts to port it from MySQL to PostgreSQL, my database of choice. But it works and it looks pretty nice, and supposedly version 1.5 is better written. I look forward to an upgrade. Oh, and if you want to add a feature to PHP, say PostgreSQL database support, you have to recompile the language. My Goodness.